A Reflection and Final Thoughts



This post will be the final one for this blog and I wanted to use this post to look back on all the topics that I have covered so far.

The first few posts focused on different methods of irrigation: groundwater, solar powered drip irrigation and flood based farming. All the different types of irrigation have their own benefits and are more compatible with some areas than other irrigation methods would be.  

I found that groundwater truly has potential to be the solution for smallholder farmers in areas where there is sufficient groundwater. Motor pumps were found to be the most efficient way to extract the groundwater but they can be a rather large and expensive investment for farmers. I concluded that the promotion of groundwater irrigation is needed and the cost of motor pumps should be reduced to make it accessible for all smallholder farmers.

The following week, I explored solar powered drip irrigation, which is becoming a more popular method of irrigation in Sub-Saharan Africa. It is an efficient irrigation method and minimises its impact on the environment, but the upfront cost is an immense drawback.

Flood based farming was a very interesting method of irrigation that I researched and it was unfortunate to find that the implementation of this method is becoming rarer due to dam construction. The potential for flood based farming is huge, especially since it is a very low-cost method of irrigation.

I briefly explored the amazing invention of windmills for irrigation and energy by William Kamkwamba. His story is extremely inspiring and shows that solutions do not have to be very expensive to be effective. The cost issue has been a recurring theme in the irrigation methods as it is either too expensive for smallholder farmers to afford by themselves or it has a low cost but the method is no longer viable. It is clear that the local governments should find a way to lower the costs of the irrigation methods to make it more affordable for smallholder farmers to maximise their yields.

In the latter half of my blog, the posts focus more on economic and political issues related to agriculture. The posts reflected that again, there are economic issues regarding smallholder farmers in Africa. Landgrabbing is very much still a prevalent issue and is threatening food security. However, NGOs working in African countries such as World Vision can help to turn around the lives of those experiencing famine and poverty. The penultimate post explored the potential for integrated water resource management and the benefits it has on both locals and the outcome of the projects.

Partly through the blog, I realised the importance of integrating a case study in to illustrate the idea I had been writing about. I recognised that with an example, it is much easier to see the theory in context and allowed me to explore agriculture and water in different countries. I tried to cover as many countries as I could throughout this blog, touching on Tanzania, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Nigeria, Malawi and Zimbabwe, although I am aware that this by no means is representative of the African continent as a whole.

Through writing this blog, it has opened my eyes to the issues that agriculture faces and that Africa is a very diverse continent, particularly when it comes to water. I enjoyed researching topics to write for this blog and it has been a good but challenging experience as it is different from writing essays as the topic choice is up to me!

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!

Comments